Burning Hearts

And they said one to another,
"Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us by the way, and while He opened to us the scriptures?
40 Day Journey to knowing Jesus more fully
2012
February 22~Aril 7 The Galilean Ministry
2011
March 9~April 23 The Perean Ministry and Passion Week
It’sbeen said that Lenten season is the Christians' 'Spring Training'. I liked that when I read it years ago and decided to use this time of year to draw closer to the Lord through prayer, fasting, and a closer look at Christs' life and ministry in scripture. "That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His suffering, being conformed to His death." Philippians 3:10

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Baptism

Matthew 3:1-17; Mark 1:1-9; Luke 3:1-22; John 1:19-34
By tradition Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lenten season, a forty day period of repentance and reflection leading to the celebration of the Resurrection of Christ on Easter.  A day historically set to vigilantly consider yourself before God and repent, for some it is even done symbolically with ashes on their head.  Personally I don't have that tradition ingrained and view repentance as an act that is continually done in a daily growing walk with the Lord as He convicts me through His Holy Spirit.  However, I do like that attitude (of repentance) as a starting point and see it as a good beginning to this devotional journal.  Christ certainly was not in need of repentance...being perfect, but it pleased the Father that in the fulness of time (I just love that term) His Son would come and fulfill all righteousness, beginning His ministry with baptism.  John, the forerunner preparing the way for the Messiah, urged all to bring fruits worthy of repentance...a different way of thinking...a changed life.  Turning from sin and living rightous lives, not ceremonial living, not hollow traditions but rather a life baptised in the very Spirit of the Living God.  A spiritual life of belief and trust that leads to rightousness and peace in spite of circumstances.  An inward life lived in a close relationship with the Heavenly Father made possible now through the coming of His Son, well you get the idea.  Jesus' baptism though was not admitting He was sinful and needed to change, He was consecrating Himself to His ministry.  We though, having no power of our own over a sinful nature, need the power that comes from above and can only be found through Jesus.  Now, in water baptism we are identifying ourselves with Jesus, in effect saying we are putting off the old man and putting on a new one.  We are now clothing ourselves in a new way of life, learning to please God and longing for the same words the Father spoke to Jesus at His baptism, "This is my beloved Son (or daughter:-), in whom I am well pleased".   This brings me to where we are headed next in our forty day journey to know Jesus better.  There are only two times in scripture that God spoke from heaven, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased", once was as Jesus came out of the water at His baptism and the other one we will find out about tomorrow.  So I hope to see you then!

For a deeper look at repentance visit (but be prepared to get serious): http://www.frontlinemin.org/repentance.asp

1 comment:

  1. I am here and present and really like the "spring training" aspect. I am going through changes and this is a perfect way to just use the journey for 40 days to guide. THANK YOU for bringing your words to me! I appreciate you all in my life!

    ReplyDelete